Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Askablogr Question: Widget Install Hack for Unsupported Templates

Q: My blog has a *very* customized template, so you can't install a widget in it. Can't you just give me some HTML? Also, your widget will clash with my site -- Can I use my own CSS? Why the 200 char lim
Posted by royleban

A: Hi Roy, thanks for the question. Our recent wave of member signups has exposed a lo-o-o-ong list of areas that need attention, and supporting more types of widget installs is high on that list. Although I don't currently have a programmatic solution, a hack that several members have put in effect on their own is to register their blog so the automatic insert works, but strip the "ask me a question" url from the widget code and create a custom Ask button that works on their site. This doesn't give you access to the "recent askers" photostip, but it enables the basic flow for you and your readers. You can grab your individual member "ask" URL from your member profile page.

Thanks for the heads-up on the issue - we'll be scrambling to chase this and other feature needs for at least the next several weeks.

No comments: